Sunday, October 3, 2010

Get Us Out of Here!

Let's see, this week the faucet in the apartment bathtub would not shut off. When we called the landlord on Friday they said it would be Monday before they could get to it. So we listened to the steady, soothing sound of running water. I'D RATHER BE WATERBOARDED!
However, good news ....Joe the builder said tomorrow they start framing.
Also, somewhat better news: the driveway from hell is less from hell than from purgatory.

Nothing like a little backfill to improve things.

Plus they put concrete in.

That's the walkout looking east from the creek.
Er, I mean crick. Gotta talk country. Those two concrete wings hold back the dirt. Guess we will be planting lots and lots of ground cover as I sure the hell ain't cutting any more hillsides.
We haven't checked on the back acres yet. But here is the path over the crick:

Pretty, huh? Yeah just wait until it is buffalo gnat season (blessedly very brief in the spring). They are nasty little flies. Read all about them:
I suppose we could poison the creek but we are sworn to going organic, so no nuclear weapons allowed. The odd thing about buffalo gnats is that the Clean Water Act actually caused their increase, as polluted streams killed the eggs. Also the only thing that keeps them away is vanilla. So Tom and I will smell like cookies for about 3 weeks. Ah the country life.

Just imagine the house where the dirt is.
Someday it will be pretty sweet.
Before I sign off we just had to show this off. You know what foodies we are. While in Chicago we bought poppy seed buns, electric green relish and sports peppers just so we could do this:
Pretty damn authentic looking, I'd say.
Namaste! 

4 comments:

  1. I want one of those dogs! Yum.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. there better not be ketchup on those dogs or i will disown you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUm on the hotdogs... could we do them with tofu dogs? for some reason i just cant bring myself to break my vege lifestyle. And when we finally are in the house I will come Identify the trees you have on the property and mabye advise on some local native trees to plant on the lot. I've been taught that Carya illinoinensis are native to southern Illinois.

    ReplyDelete